Wednesday, June 27, 2012

ISSN National Conference 2012

So I recently got back from presenting our research at the 2012 International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN) Conference in Florida and thought I'd give a quick recap.  First of all, the ISSN is a great association dedicated to researching sports nutrition and supplementation strategies, not only for athletes but for your gym rats and general public as well.  I enjoy going to these conferences because I get to see fresh off the press research presented by some of the top dogs in the field and get a feel for what practioners in the field are actually doing and what's working for them. Plus, I came back with about $100.00 of free supplements!


http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/

Like I said, it's a great opportunity to meet some of the most well-known researchers in the sports nutrition world and see what type of work they are doing; such as my advisor Dr. Richard Kreider and his research:
 

Or Dr. Paul Cribb and his research on nutrient timing:


Or Dr. Kleiner and her research on power eating:
 



A great presentation on the history of how steroids were unjustly taken away by John Romano:




Or, my personal favorite, Dr. Jim Stoppani (senior science editor for Muscle & Fitness) and the difference between lab science and gym science:
 

I got some great tips on nutritent timing strategies for optimal growth, what to eat before bed, how to combine cardio and weights and still add muscle, how to eat "clean," supplements for weight loss, lab science vs. gym science, new supplements hitting the market and what they can do, as well as various other research findings that I plan to blog about in the near future. It's one of those "business" trips that you get back from and say: "I can't believe I get to do stuff like this for a living!"  Most of the people at the conference all share a similar mentatlity of I get to call my hobby my job.  It's exciting to be a part of a relatively new field, one that I wish I was aware back when I played sports in high school.  Hopefully you enjoy seeing some of these big faces in the field and get ready for some great research out of them in the future!  The field has come a long way.....


No comments:

Post a Comment